As of 17 March 2021, more than 120 million cases of COVID-19 infections, with a lot more than 2 million deaths, experienced been noted globally. Vaccination remains a significant instrument to enable stop further more illness and dying and to management the pandemic.
So significantly, additional than 20 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have been administered in Europe and much more than 27 million doses of the Covishield vaccine (AstraZeneca vaccine by Serum Institute of India) have been administered in India.
The GACVS COVID-19 subcommittee satisfied practically on 16 and 19 March 2021 to critique available facts and data on thromboembolic functions (blood clots) and thrombocytopenia (reduced platelets) soon after vaccination with the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.
The subcommittee reviewed scientific trial facts and reviews based mostly on security details from Europe, the United Kingdom, India, and Vigibase, the WHO worldwide database of individual circumstance safety studies.
Centered on a cautious scientific critique of the offered facts, the subcommittee arrived to the pursuing conclusions and tips:
- The AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine (together with Covishield) carries on to have a optimistic reward-hazard profile, with great opportunity to stop infections and cut down deaths throughout the world.
- The obtainable facts do not suggest any general enhance in clotting situations this kind of as deep venous thrombosis or pulmonary embolism next administration of COVID-19 vaccines. Reported rates of thromboembolic events just after COVID-19 vaccines are in
line with the anticipated amount of diagnoses of these problems. Equally problems happen naturally and are not uncommon. They also arise as a end result of COVID-19. The noticed premiums have been much less than expected for these kinds of functions.
- While incredibly scarce and exceptional thromboembolic occasions in mixture with thrombocytopenia, this sort of as cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST), have also been noted following vaccination with the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in Europe, it is not sure
that they have been caused by vaccination. The European Medications Agency’s Pharmacovigilance and Danger Assessment Committee has reviewed 18 situations of CVST out of a whole of more than 20 million vaccinations with the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine
in Europe. A causal relationship involving these unusual situations has not been recognized at this time (1).
- Enough instruction really should be supplied to wellness-care industry experts and people remaining vaccinated to figure out the signals and indications of all major adverse events after vaccinations with all COVID-19 vaccines, so that men and women may perhaps search for and get prompt
and relevant health care treatment and treatment.
- The GACVS subcommittee suggests that nations continue to watch the security of all COVID-19 vaccines and endorse reporting of suspected adverse activities.
- The GACVS subcommittee also agrees with the European Medications Agency’s strategies to additional look into and keep an eye on for these activities.
The GACVS COVID-19 subcommittee will carry on to assessment the safety facts from all COVID-19 vaccines and update any suggestions as necessary. The WHO COVID-19 vaccine security surveillance guide gives advice to nations on the security monitoring and adverse
activities data sharing for the new COVID-19 vaccines, and can be accessed here.